The Pune365 ‘Reader Audience’ boasts of fabulous home chefs who love experimenting with both cooking styles and cuisines…
For the month of Shravan, our reader chefs have sent in several interesting ‘fasting recipes’ that can be enjoyed through the month.
Presented here is a random selection that will leave you asking for more…
Snehal Baviskar– A proud home maker, a singer and a mother of two children who inspire her to experiment with her cooking.
Ingredients For Dosa: Barnyard millet (Varai) 2 bowl, tapioca (Sabudana) half bowl, jeera powder, coriander, green chilli, sugar, salt, oil.
- Soak varai and Sabudana separately overnight, next day drain it and make separate pastes.
- Mix this with adding green chilli, coriander and jeera and blend again.
- Pour all this in a pot and add sugar, some more coriander and salt for taste. Your batter is ready. Adjust its consistency by adding water if required.
- Make a dosa on hot tawa, flip both the sides and cook do not cover it.
Ingredients for Aaloo Sabji (filling): Boiled potatoes, green chilli or red chilli powder, jeera, oil, coriander and salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera, chilli, salt stir well.
- Add boiled and cut potatoes, coriander, cover it and cook properly.
- Serve this dosa with aaloo sabji, green chutney, fried papad and buttermilk.
Upwas Idli Chutney
Mitalee Mahajan– An architect by profession, she also loves travelling and photography. From learning simple recipes to getting exposed to international Cuisine she’s done it all. Her mother inspired her to try experimental cooking.
Ingredients: 2 cups varie tandul (samo rice) , 2 table spoon sabudana (sago),1 cup curd,1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, salt and sugar to taste.
- Grind the samo rice and sago coarsely to form constancy like semolina.
- Add the curd and little bit of water to form batter like constancy, let this mixture rest for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins add salt and sugar to taste, add baking soda.
- Grease the idli molds and pour the batter. Let it steam for 15 to 20 mins.
- Your upwas Idli is ready. Serve hot with upwas chutney.
Ingredients: 1 Cup varai flour ,1 cup rajgira lahya , 4-5 green chilly paste , 2 teaspoon fresh ginger paste , 1 teaspoon jeera, 2 tablespoons of finely cut coriander , 1/2 teaspoon baking soda , oil for greasing the Appe pan, water, salt to taste, sugar to taste.
- Mix all the the mentioned ingredients to make a smooth but thick constancy batter.
- Add the baking soda just before you pour the batter in the Appe pan.
- Grease the Appe pan with oil and pour the batter to fill 3/4th of the mould.
- Put on flame covering with a lid and some weight so that the steam won’t escape.
- Turn each Appe once it’s done form one side so that both the sides become nice brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or red groundnut chutney.
Juili Onkar Sapre: IT Professional by profession, chef by heart.
Ingredients For 10 Kachoris: 3 big potatoes, 1 tbsp upwas flour (Rajgira, sabudana, shigada), 1 whole freshly grated coconut, 3 Finely chopped green chilies, handful of raisins, handful chopped coriander, 1 tbsp sugar, salt to taste (fasting salt preferable)
- Take freshly grated coconut in bowl, add finely chopped chilies, coriander, salt, sugar and raisins.
- Mix well and keep it aside for 15 minutes. This needs to combine well for flavours to gel.
- Boil potatoes, mash them and add upwas flour ( rajgira flour used here) and salt.
- Mix well and make a dough. Make sure you are able to form balls from dough. If not add more flour and mix well.
- Make a ball, flatten and make Puri shape out of dough.
- Add coconut stuffing and seal the kachori well.
- Make rest and keep some flour for coating kachoris in.
- Coat kachoris in flour and deep fry in peanut oil or desi ghee. Not to mention but desi ghee ones will always be best.
- Fry on medium flame till golden brown.Take out and serve it with green chutney or sweet curd.
#Curated by Loveleen Kaur for Pune365Desk
Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @KaurKaur18
Latest posts by Loveleen Kaur (see all)
- Pune’s Interesting Midnight Food Delivery Options - July 26, 2019
- Excessive Shopping Could Signal Illness- Mental Health Experts - July 15, 2019
- Chronic Stress ? Seek Professional Help Before It Takes A Toll - July 9, 2019