Presenting a Compendium of Exquisite and Unique Maharashtrian Dishes with ‘Easy to Make’ Recipes Contributed by our Pune readers:
Nalini Shantaram Fulsundar: A mother who chose her daughters over herself and made them independent.She is also a recipient of the Ideal mother Award from Sindhutai Sapkal.
Onion, sesame, dry coconut, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, garam masala, salt to taste, besan (gram flour), oil, red chili powder, jeera (cumin seeds).
Preparation For Gravy:
- Take chopped onion, dry coconut, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves.
- Roast onion and coconut in little oil and make a paste.
- Add garam masala and salt while making gravy.
For Besan Base (Outer Covering)
- Put oil in a pan.
- Add Jeera, red chili powder, salt and water.
- Add gram flour slowly to this and stir well to avoid lumps.
- Cook it for 15-20 mins on low flame.
For Saran (Filling)
- Roast sesame, finely chopped onion, dry coconut on slow flame by adding oil.
- Add finely chopped garlic and coriander with salt.
- Now stuff the filling in the besan base making it into a cylinder type structure.
- Cut them into small pieces and serve with Gravy.
Gola-Bhat with Chincheche Saar
Dr Purva Shastri-Nagarnaik: Dentist by profession, foodie by soul.This is an authentic spicy rice dish served with sweet and sour gravy from the Vidarbha region in Maharashtra.
This preparation is done in three steps -rice, gram flour balls and gravy
Ingredients for Rice:
1 cup yellow lentils (tur dal), 1 cup rice, 2-3 red chillies – dry, 3/4th teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (Hing), 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, oil for tempering, salt to taste, 1tsp lemon water and coriander for garnish.
- Wash rice and dal thoroughly and soak.
- In a hot pressure cooker, add oil, put in mustard seeds, Hing, red chillies, turmeric and salt.
- Add the soaked rice and dal as soon as the spices turn aromatic, add 2and a half cups of water and put on the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Wait till two whistles, open the cooker as soon as it cools down, check if the rice has cooked properly and are not stuck together.
- Mix all the ingredients together and put the lid back on.
Ingredients for Balls:
3/4th cup (gram flour) besan, 1tsp ajwain (carom seeds), 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 tsp chat masala, 1tbsp- ginger, garlic and chilli paste, 2tbsp oil, salt to taste.
Ingredients for Tempering: 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp asafoetida/Hing
- Dry roast the gram flour (if possible use thickly grounded gram flour instead of finely grounded) till it turns golden.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ingredients mentioned above, mix well and form a thick and firm dough.
- Let this dough rest for a few minutes and start dividing the dough into equal parts and roll them between palm of the hands into small balls.
- In a deep, heated pan, add 1 tbsp of oil, add mustard and Hing.
- To this mixture add the balls and water enough to drown them completely.
- Cover this for 8-10 mins and let it boil until the balls rise in size and become soft.
Ingredients for Chinche che Saar (Tamarind Gravy):
1/2 cup-soaked tamarind, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 a cup jaggery/gud, 2tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp mustard, a pinch of asafoetida, salt to taste
- In a deep hot pan, add oil, temper with Hing, mustard seeds and salt.
- Add the soaked tamarind as soon as the spices turn aromatic, add 4 cups of water let it come to a boil.
- Add jaggery to the gravy and mix well. Let it boil for a few minutes and cover the pan.
Neha Raskar Erandkar: An artist and professional creative head. She is passionate about her work and allows it to speak for itself.
Tip: Kulith Shengole is a rustic Maharashtrian dish made using Horse gram flour. Serve this proteinaceous Shengole with Roti, Bhakri, or Hot Steamed Rice for lunch.
1 cup Horse Gram Flour, 5-6 cloves Garlic, 2-3 Green Chillies, 2 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds (Jeera), salt to taste, lukewarm water as required
- Add all the ingredients and mix together the flour, half of the garlic, half of the chillies, a tablespoon oil, and salt in a Mixing bowl.
- Add warm water to make a stiff, pliable dough. Knead the dough well.
- Make log shaped dumplings from the dough. Cover and keep them.
- In a Pan/Kadai, heat the remaining oil.
- Add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the cumin seeds.
- Add the rest of the garlic and green chillies. Add about 1-1/2 cups water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Drop the dumplings one by one in the boiling water.
- Cook covered till the dumplings are cooked through (about 7-8 minutes).
- Serve Kulith Shengole alone, or with Roti, Bhakri, or Hot Steamed Rice for lunch.
Vrushali Shantaram Fulsundar: A software engineer by profession, she is passionate about cooking.
Bajara 250 grm, Seasame 50 grm, Jeera cumin seeds 50 grm, Poha 250 grm, Moth bean (Matki) 200 grm, Tapioca Sago (Sabudana) 100 grm, Ajwain (carom seeds) 25 grm, Flax seed 100 grm, Green Gram 100 gram, Jowar 250 gram, Rice 250 grm, Soyabean seeds 100 grm, thin round slices of potato, salt to taste
- Roast all above ingredients on slow flame till it turns little brown and make fine powder.
- In four cups of flour, dd 02 finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste and 2 green chillies.
- Add salt and half teaspoon red chili powder and mix well.
- Make thalipeeth on Cotton fabric and put it on pan.
- Put little oil/Butter from all sides.
- Stick potato slices to that thalipeeth immediately once you put it on pan.
- Roast well from both side, serve with curd.
Curated by Loveleen Kaur For Pune365 Desk
#Readers are welcome to mail in their recipes with an accompanying photograph of the dish and the home chef ( only exclusive and original) to email@example.com with “Pune365Food” as the subject.
Latest posts by Pune 365 Desk (see all)
- WMC And PMF Join Hands With Maharashtra Government To Fight Covid19 - June 6, 2020
- Rotarian Moots Idea To Use Sleeper Buses as Night Shelters - May 4, 2020
- Srishti Alumnus, Photographer Mihika Row To Exhibit In Pune - January 30, 2020