LPG Cylinders Can Turn Lethal If You Are Negligent- #StaySafe

LPG Cylinders and Safety
Image used for representation only.

There has been a marked increase in LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) cylinder explosions in the city and the irony is that and almost every alternate house uses one.

Though having an LPG gas cylinder in the house is essential, it is critical to take appropriate precautions to ensure safety.

Pune365 spoke to experts and informed citizens on measures that consumers need to adopt with respect to the safe use of LPG cylinders in their households.

Speaking to Pune365, Nishant Kumar, (Authorised Distributor) says, LPG gas is a mixture of Butane and Propane in the ratio of approx. 3:1. It is often believed that excessive pressure can be one of the reason for the burst however extensive pressure tests are conducted and this isn’t the case.

A normal LPG cylinder has a pressure of between 3 to 8 kg while the test is done to ensure that cylinders can hold pressure up to 25 kg, Also the cylinder manufacturers conduct tests with a higher pressure of 80 kg.

Logically, the only reason why a cylinder can burst is overheating of the cylinder externally. Also, a faulty gas regulator can cause an explosion.

However, at our end, we have made compulsory for all the delivery men to ensure basic checks on the cylinders when it is delivered, Kumar added. Those looking for more information on safely storing compressed gases in cylinders can find it on sites such as Storemasta, this could prevent further incidents and injuries.

Safety Tips

  • Do not panic, seek help from the fire brigade
  • Customers should check the cylinder when it is delivered. Connect to the gas stove, check the due date, light the burner when connected to ensure it is safe for use.
  • If you smell the gas leaking, don’t hurry to light up the stove and switch off all the devices in use. No open flame and electronic devices should be kept on in the house in such circumstances.
  • Stay away from the house and tell your neighbours to vacate the place if there is a leak in the house and seek help from the nearest fire brigade team.
  • Do not try any home remedies to stop the leak, it may worsen it.

 

City based activist Dr Sardeep Desai, says, “Gas cylinders are very dangerous and proper precautions must be taken to ensure its safety.

Many people do not realise that they are actually sitting on a bomb that is likely to explode if safety measures are not taken.

Checking the gas for leaks is very important. It should be done daily. One must not keep any inflammable substances around or smoke near it. It would be better if buildings make arrangements to store the cylinders outside the building,” Desai added.

Nikhil Kadam, Social Activist says, It is right when they say do not leave your gas unattended when you exit the kitchen. The incidents of gas explosions are on the rise and many have turned fatal.

It is observed that in most of the cases the negligence if from the consumer’s side. Consumers are not very careful about checking and storing the gas cylinders appropriately and this negligence is the reason for many casualties in the city.

Nikhil further opines, “Most of the time the cylinder is not checked when it is delivered, the tubes are not changed of checked every three months which is needed.

Faulty regulators, overheating and damaged tubes are the major reasons for gas cylinder explosions.

Gas distributors have made it compulsory to have the gas cylinder checked once it is delivered to a consumer. But it is also a consumers responsibility to carry the necessary check.

There are also helplines from the gas distributors where you can report a complain if the checks are not carried out properly. After all, a small spark can result into a big explosion, Kadam added.

Ankita Malekar

Ankita Malekar

A talkative tiny speck in the world of Media, with an itch for travel and paws.
Ankita Malekar

Comments

comments