From being a inconspicuous “Bhein” available mostly in the northern belt of india , slowly and steadly, this edible part of the lotus flower is climbing up the charts with most of the chef’s, specially those dwelling with asian and Indian cuisine…
It is usually crunchy and is fairly sweet and has a flavor like waterchestnuts. It is generally used in salads, appetizers, curries and stir fried dishes. Apart from this, lotus stem is also very healthy. It is a good source of dietary fibre, contains minerals like zinc, manganese, iron, copper & magnesium and also has a very high content of vitamin C, thereby increasing body immunity .
It generally gets supplied covered with mud, to prevent oxidation. It needs to be soaked in water for couple of hours and then scrubbed well and peeled before using them. It can be eaten raw in salads, however most prefer to steam or boil it to make it a bit tender while eating .One should select the fat lotus stem which is short, heavy and firm with a vibrant brownish color. One should avoid buying those which have bruises and black spots.
Though they are best when eaten fresh, they can be stored in a damp cloth in the refrigerator for 10 to 14 days .
My favourite lotus stem recipes for you :
Thamarai Thandu Porial
|Red chilli whole||0.003||KG|
|Red chilli powder||0.003||KG|
|Grated fresh coconut||0.200||KG|
|Chopped fresh coriander||0.050||KG|
- Boil the lotus stem and cut into roundals, keep aside.
- Heat oil, mustard, urad, toor dal, curry leaves.
- Add saunf and saute chopped onions.
- Add the cooked lotus stems, salt and mix well.
- Add haldi, and red chilli powder.
- Add some water and allow to blend.
- Cook on low heat till the masala has blended well with the stem.
- Add lemon suice and grated fresh coconut and mix well.
- Cover for 2-3 minutes and then serve topped with fresh coriander.
Crispy Lotus Stem with Honey, Chillies & Sesame
|GARLIC ( Chopped)||0.005||KG|
|FRESH RED CHILLIES (Chopped)||0.005||KG|
|Oil For Fry||0.050||ML|
- Clean & boil the lotus stem. Peel and cut them diagonally as thin as possible.
- Dry the lotus stem and coat them with cornflour.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the lotus stem crispy.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan or a chinese wok, red chillies. Saute for 1/2 min,add soya sauce, tamarind juice and honey.
Cook till sauce reduces to coating consistency, add the lemon juice and the salt.
- Add the lotus stem to the sauce, sprinkle sesame seeds , toss quickly and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
Lotus Stem Salad with Prawns and Pork
|Noc Cham sauce
(Water 75 ml, fish sauce 75 ml, sugar 150 gms, 75 ml vinegar, garlic 5 gms, bird eye chilly 5nos.
Boil water, add sugar and remove cool & add rest of the ingredients.)
- Clean and boil the Lotus stem. Peel and cut them into roundels or diagonally.
- Peel and cut carrots into matchstick size.
Mix lotus stem and carrots with vinegar and sugar and keep them aside.
- Boil pork loin in a pot of water with salt, when cooked remove and put it in a ice bath.
In the same water boil shrimps, when cooked put them in the ice bath.
Shell the prawns and slice the pork into strips
- Drain the carrots and the lotus stem, discard the brine.
- In a mixing bowl add the prawns, pork, carrots, lotus stem, peppers, basil, corinader, Mix it with the Noc Cham Sauce.
- Arrange on the platter , garnish with roasted peanuts and fried shallots.
Writing was a plan that came to life with Pune365.com.