Here’s the #Furholics Guide to help you select your Dog Or Cat :
- There should be no fluid coming out of the mouth/ears/nose/eyes/genitals.
If at all there is anything, get it checked.
- The puppy/kitten/adult dog/adult cat should look well fed, not starving with the ribs showing.
- There should be no anger issues – particularly with grown up animals.
- Fur should be clean of parasites. There should be no bald patches, boils or scars.
- The ears should be clear. Any ear deposits should be cleared before bringing the kitten/puppy home.
- If you are selecting a pup from a litter, don’t choose the sleepiest or the laziest or the biggest of the lot. Pick a pup that looks alert and interested in his/her surroundings. An alert dog is an excellent choice.The same applies to a kitten.
- Call out to the little ones in the litter and see who comes up to you. It helps to have a cat/dog select you.
- Similarly, don’t select an unhealthy puppy, especially if it’s your first time as a pet parent. Nursing a sick baby demands a lot of time, money and energy from pet parents and as first timers you will find it very difficult to manage the same.
- Where possible check the mom with the litter to see that she is well looked after!
- Most importantly, the entire family should look forward to adding a member to the brood, not just you who is picking the animal up.
Once your new family member is home, give her/him a lot of love.
But set rules in place from day 1.
Uma Karve Chakranarayan is editor and publisher of Tell Tail, Pune’s only petzine and partner, Petsworld, a pet food and accessories store. ’Furholics’ appears every Saturday on Pune365.
Latest posts by Uma Karve Chakranarayan (see all)
- #Furholics: Meet Spikey The Star At Sayali Pandit’s Home - April 14, 2018
- #FurholicsGuide – Easy Frozen Treats For Your Pooch - April 7, 2018
- #Furholics – Meeting Ritu Bharadwaj’ Amazing Cat Family! - March 24, 2018