Dr Mini Salunkhe: For breast-related issues, should one consult a gynaecologist or are there breast specialists?

mother breast feeding adorable baby over green background

Here are questions from readers that were addressed by leading obstetrician and gynaecologist Dr Mini Salunkhe. The identities of the solution-seekers have been withheld to protect their privacy.

Dear Doctor, I wanted to know for any breast-related issues, should a gynaecologist be visited or are there breast specialists that one has to consult?

There are breast specialists like general surgeons, breast cancer/ lump specialists to who you can go to for breast lumps, bloody discharge from nipple, puckering, dimpling of breasts, etc. A gynaecologist would be helpful for breast related premenstrual symptoms, breast pain which might be premenstrual or hormone related, milky/clear discharge from nipples etc.

Doctor, is cervical cancer genetic? I’m a little worried as my mother is suffering from it. Should I be taking any precautionary tests?

Cervical cancer is not genetic. In 99 per cent of the cases it is caused by human papilloma virus. Doing regular pap smears as advised by your gynaecologist is the routine test to detect very early cervical cancer. Pap test is a routine screening tool. If your gynaecologist advises you for further tests, colposcopy, HPV testing, and/or cervical biopsy can be done.

Dear Doctor, my maternity leave was for 10 weeks and it’s ending soon. I am concerned about my baby’s health since I won’t be available for breast feeding. What are the effects?

Breast feeding for at least six months has a lot of advantages for your baby. It can decrease your baby’s risk for illnesses. You can breast feed longer if you choose, as breast milk is always beneficial to your baby. Breast feeding may be hard for women when they join their work place. Check with your supervisor about providing time to nurse or expressing milk at work. You can slowly start weaning your baby off breast milk six months onwards.

Is it necessary to undergo a surgery if I have been detected with fibroids on my uterus?

Fibroids may be of various types, sizes and at different locations on the uterus. They may cause no symptoms at all or different symptoms like very heavy bleeding, pressure symptoms, infertility, pain etc. Surgery would be advised by your gynaecologist depending upon the severity of the symptoms and how they are affecting your general health.

Thank you readers for your queries. I hope I have been able to answer them and clarify your doubts. I would be more than happy to take time off to answer all your questions week after week. You can reach me via editorial@pune365.com


Dr Mini Salunkhe

Dr Mini Salunkhe

Dr Mini Salunkhe is a senior gynaecologist practising in Pune for over a decade. Apart from being a private practitioner, she is a consulting obstetrician and gynaecologist at Inamdar Hospital. Dr Salunkhe addresses reader queries every Friday on Pune365.
Dr Mini Salunkhe