Getting set for the house parties this long weekend? How about a fresh set of dishes this time around?
Snacky and different, these are exclusive recipes from our talented readers and will enthral your guests this season !
Broccoli and Mushroom Cocktail Kebabs
Malika Manghnani: Malika started experimenting with food and creating fusion recipes while living in Nigeria. Later she moved to Middle East and was introduced to different kind of cuisines. In Pune for the last 6 years, she has worked as a home chef for an online food delivery for over a year.
Ingredients (Makes 20 kebabs): 3-4 pieces of garlic (grated), 1/2 tsp chilli flakes, 1 tsp oregano (dried), 1 pinch black pepper, 1/2 pinch sugar, Salt to taste, 5 tablespoons mushroom (finely chopped), 1/2 cup milk, 1 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp white flour, 2 tbsp corn flour, 1 medium bunch broccoli chopped and steamed
- In a fry pan add butter, then add garlic.
- Once brown, add milk and as soon as it boils add mushroom and then all the spices (chilli flakes. Oregano, black pepper, salt, sugar).
- Add white flour and corn flour, mix well on slow gas for 5 minutes (should be thick).
- If not thick enough adjust with some more white flour.
- Once it’s done, let it cool.
- Steam the broccoli, remove the water and mash.
- Once cooled, mix the mashed broccoli with the mushroom mixture and make into cocktail size kebabs using a little oil so it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Roll into bread crumbs and shallow fry.
- Serve with tomato sauce or coriander/mint dip.
Kiran Vaswani: A passionate cook, Kiran loves to experiment with different tastes and textures. Her culinary skills extend from traditional Sindhi to authentic Italian recipes, using fresh ingredients and produce. She goes by the name Healthwiches on social media.
Ingredients: Mini buns, boiled potatoes, red chilli, turmeric, salt, coriander, green chillies optional, bread crumbs, oil for frying, mayonnaise, green chutney, cheese slices
- Mash the boil potatoes, add all the masalas and mix well.
- Add bread crumbs and coriander and mix again. Aloo (potato) tikki masala is now ready.
- Make round shape tikkis and keep ready aside.
- Heat the oil in a Pan and deep fry the aloo tikkis.
- Cut the mini buns into half from middle. On lower side apply mayonnaise and the other green chutney.
- Place the tikki.
- Cut the cheese slice into 4 equal parts as the bun is very small.
- Place the cheese slice and arrange the top part of the bun.
This recipe is quick, and all the preparation can be done before in advance when you are expecting guests this festive season.
It’s a favourite of all and at the same time it is not very heavy on the stomach being “mini”.
Tomche Brinjal Boats
Vadika Bansal: Vadika is a freelance content writer and a home chef. She loves to know the world through its food and eating habits.
Ingredients: ( Serves 2) 1 medium sized brinjal, 1 large sized onion, 2 medium sized tomatoes, 6-7 cloves of garlic, Carom seeds:1/2 teaspoon, Chilli flakes: 1teaspoon, Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon, Salt to taste, Sugar:1/2 teaspoon Processed cheese: 1/2cup, Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cut the brinjal vertically into 2 halves. Soak them into salted water for at least 15 mins.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan. Add carom seeds and sauté them for atleast 30 secs.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté it till it turns pink. Then, add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli flakes, sugar and salt. Mix well and cook the filling for at least 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate flat-bottomed pan, add 2 teaspoons of oil and lay the brinjal halves in it with the inner part facing downwards.
- After 7-8 minutes turn the brinjals upside down. Roast them for a few more minutes till the brinjals are thoroughly cooked.
- Scoop the fleshy part of the brinjals out and mix it with filling. Remove the seeds.
- Fill the scooped out brinjals with the filling and grate processed cheese over them.
- Place them again in a pan and cook them for 5 mins or till the time the cheese is melted.
- Garnish the brinjals with chilli flakes and coriander leaves.
K T Radhakrishnan: He is a homemade gourmet chef who loves to experiment with food.
Ingredients: Snake gourd cut 4inch in length: 3pc, Spinach: 1bunch, Paneer: 250gm, Soaked Cashewnut: 10-15, Jeera: half tsp, Butter
Sauce1: Pumpkin 100gm, Garlic 3-4 cloves, red chilli 2pc, Onion half, Coriander leaves, Fresh cream
Sauce2: Alphonso mango puree, Red chilli 2-3pc, Curry leaves 2 stems , Mustard half teaspoon
Snake gourd Preparation:
- Put 2 tsp butter in a pan, temper jeera (cumin seeds) till light brown.
- Add chopped spinach, sauté for few minutes, then add crumbled panner and sauté it till brown.
- Sauté 2 green chillies, then add chopped cashew nut.
- Add pinch of paprika, pepper and salt, cook for 3minuites and set aside.
- Stuff the mixture in the snake gourd and pack it well.
- Sear the stuffed snake gourds with butter till light brown(little green could give a better appeal to the dish).
Pumpkin Sauce Preparation:
- Simmer all ingredients together except cream.
- Once cooked grind the ingredients to make a semi-thick paste.
- Add 50-100 gm of fresh cream and add salt accordingly.
- Add oil in a pan and temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and fry.
- Add coarse ground fresh red chilli ( should retain the red colour )
- Add 150ml of mango puree, cook for 3mins then add 100ml of coconut milk
- Cook for few minutes and add salt accordingly
- Fill a deep dish with a sauce ( for Diwali mango sauce is preferred )
- Top it with the 3 pieces of stuffed gourd.
- Sprinkle red chilli oil.
- Place fresh mint leaves on top.
- Add fresh pomegranates around the plate and serve.
#Curated by Loveleen Kaur for Pune365Desk
Reach her at email@example.com or tweet @KaurKaur18
Latest posts by Loveleen Kaur (see all)
- #ExpertSpeak-Skin And Hair Care Advise For This Holi - March 20, 2019
- #GenderEquality- Kerala HC Questions Discriminatory Hostel Guidelines - March 19, 2019
- #ExpertSpeak: The Handy Guide To A Good Night’s Sleep - March 18, 2019